- half a yard of fabric
- 1 bag of rice 2-5 pounds
- several drops of essential oil
Directions for Adding Essential Oil:
- Dump rice into a large bowl.
- Add about 10 drops of lavender and 5 drops of orange oil onto the rice.
- Mix thoroughly with your hands.
- Smell the rice and add more oil as needed. I added 2 drops lavender and 1 drop orange oil until I was satisfied.
- Allow rice to dry before using.
Directions for Rice Pillow:
- Fold fabric in half.
- Cut out a long slender rectangle approximately 5 1/2 by 12... I did not measure. I also cut the fabric with the fold intact, so I would only need to sew 3 sides instead of 4.
- Turn the fabric with both of the right sides facing in. Using a sewing machine, stitch together 2 of the remaining 3 sides. One of the smaller sides should be the one left open.
- You will need to flip the fabric right side out. I usually use a chop stick or bamboo skewer to do this. Begin my flipping the fabric like you would turning a shirt right side out. Then, use the chop stick to poke into the corners to ensure they are as square as possible.
- Now, you are able to pour rice into the pillow. You may want to make a paper funnel to make this process easier. Once I used a funnel I had no problems.
- Finally, use the machine to stitch the opened end closed. I folded the material inward to make the edge look finished and the stitched through both pieces of fabric. This end will look a bit different, but it was alot easier than hand sewing the end closed.
Microwave for 30 seconds. Check temperature and reheat in 10 second increments until desired temperature is met.
*My pillow stayed hot for over 30 minutes.*
For a cold pillow, place in the freezer for about an hour. Check every 10 minutes there after until desired temperature is reached.