I apologise for my photo. I am terrible at taking pictures of food. I try, but the lighting is never right and I'm just no good at it.
That being said...
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2-4 cloves of garlic minced
- 6 cups of 98% fat free chicken broth
- 2- 14 oz. cans of rotel tomatoes
- 1- 4 oz. can of chopped green chilies
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro chopped
- ½-1 tsp cumin (add more to taste if necessary)
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste (very little pepper is needed)
- 1 tsp sugar
- juice of two limes
- ½- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken (or 1 large can-12.5 oz. Tyson premium chunk chicken breast)
- ½-1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese or Asadero cheese
- 1 cup broken tortilla chips
*In the above photo, I added 1/2 can of black beans and 1/2 can of corn.*
1. Pour all ingredients into a large stockpot except for the cheese and tortilla chips.
Note: Only drain the can chicken. Leave the liquid in all other ingredients.
2. Stir well and bring to a boil.
Note: Once boiling, stir well again and simmer an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour. If the liquid cooks down to much add water to desired level in ½ cup increments.
*To serve place broken tortilla chips in the bottom of soup bowl. Pour desired amount of soup in bowl and top with desired amount of shredded cheese. You can also top with lite sour cream. umm-ummm good!!!