I plan to make another appointment with the doctor to find a solution. The uninterrupted sleep is brutal. It leaves me groggy from the moment I wake until the time I lie down again in the evening. Plus, the force of the cough is exhausting.
Needless to say, I need relief until I can get to the doctor. At this point, I will try anything.
Suggestions to Soothe a Persistent Cough:
- a long, hot bath shower... breath in the steam (consider using a eucalyptus shower tablet)
- sleep with your head elevated and use a vaporizer
- suck on hard candies
- drink lots of fluids, but avoid milk (milk tends to increase mucus production)
- drink hot tea (especially peppermint or chamomile) to help sooth the throat and open airways
- use a chest rub (I use Tea Tree Therapy Eucalyptus Chest Rub.)
- take vitamins A, C, and E
- use of a personal inhalation pot
- There are many suggestions out there for the use of garlic, honey, peppers, onions, etc. None of these remedies seemed like things I would actually consume, but feel free to look them up if you think you'd like to give it a go.