One way to find out for sure if there is leakage due to constipation is simple. Make sure your child has gone to the bathroom or at least has a clean bottom. Wait about an hour or an hour and a half and check by physically examining or having the child wipe and let you know.
Leakage would be an important time to consult a physician.
Most constipation however is either dietary or emotional.
There are several natural ways to help ease constipation and regulate your child.
Tips to Try...
- Bake high fiber muffins.
- Buy a high fiber cereal like Fiber One or All Bran. Fiber One has more sugar and less bran, but it taste much better by far!
- Switch to whole wheat bread.
- Serve raw vegetables like carrots and celery as snacks. Encourage eating cauliflower and broccoli.
- Apples, pears, and peaches tend to aid in soothing constipation while applesauce and bananas tend to make the problem worsen.
- Drink lots of water and fruit juice.