The best beans I've had in years and I made them. Yay, me!
The nutritionist informed the hubs and I that we really should be eating beans several times a week... preferably not from a can. Once again I had to scour dozens of recipes and recreate one that fit my family's needs. I think I did a pretty good job. You'll have to try them for yourself and let me know.
16 ounce package of dried pinto beans
1 tomato, diced
1 onion, finely diced
2-3 poblano peppers, peeled and diced
1 bunch cilantro, half for salsa- half for beans
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 t. oregano
sea salt and pepper to taste
3-5 cups of chicken broth
1. Soak beans overnight in water. Drain beans in the morning.
2. Put beans, broth, cilantro, seasonings and 1/2 of the diced onion into a large stock pot.
3. Place chilies, garlic, tomatoes, and 1/2 of onion into a food processor. Blend.
4. Dump above mixture into beans and stir.
5. Dice ham into small chunks. Add to beans.
6. Bring beans to a simmer. Cover partially. Cook 1 1/2- 2 hours.
* Beans should be tender. *
I like to serve beans with corn bread, but it is definitely not on the clean eating diet.
My suggestion would be to serve with cilantro lime brown rice.