Follow by Email

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Non-Toxic Cleaners for Kids

Here are some recipes for homemade cleaners that are safe for kids and really economical.  Remember to only make up enough cleaner for approximately a week.  Homemade cleaners loose their effectiveness fairly quickly.

Household Cleaner
(for kitchen and bath counter tops, back splashes, stove tops, and exterior surfaces of toilet)

mix together 1 cup of white vinegar & 1 cup of water in a spray bottle

Window Cleaner
use above mentioned spray and dry with a soft cloth

Tub Cleaner
Apply vinegar full-strength to a sponge and wipe with vinegar first. Next, use baking soda as you would scouring powder. Rub with a damp sponge and rinse thoroughly with clean water.

Floor Cleaner
Laminate: 1/2 cup white vinegar mixed into 1/2 gallon water

Wood Floors: mix a 1to 1 ratio of vegetable oil and vinegar into a solution, apply a thin coat, and rub in well.

Brick and Stone Floors: mix 1 cup white vinegar into 1 gallon water; scrub the floor with a brush and the vinegar solution; rinse with clean water.

Ceramic Tile: mix 1/4 cup white vinegar (more if very dirty) into 1 gallon water.

Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Sprinkle baking soda into the bowl, then drizzle with vinegar and scour with a toilet brush. Use a pumice stone to remove any remaining hard water rings.

Drain Opener
for slow-moving drains

Pour 1/2 cup baking soda down the drain. Add 1/2 cup white vinegar and cover the drain, if possible. Let set for a few minutes, then pour a kettle of boiling water down the drain to flush it.

DO NOT USE THIS METHOD AFTER ANY COMMERCIAL DRAIN OPENER HAS BEEN USED OR IS STILL PRESENT IN THE STANDING WATER.

Glass Cleaner
Mix in a sprayer bottle equal amounts of white vinegar and warm water. Dry with a soft cloth for a streak-free shine.

Using the above cleaners, my boys and I will be able to clean the following:
  • entire bathroom from top to bottom
  • living room
  • most of the kitchen.
That means that about 80% of our house will be cleaned.  The remaining 20% will require vacuuming, straightening up, and laundry (my least favorite thing to do).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Natural Simplicity. I hope I have helped you on your journey to getting back to the basics.
One Pink Fish

DISCLAIMER...

*All remedies mentioned on Natural Simplicity have been found on the web or in books as I learn to heal my family in a more natural manner.

* Always remember to consult a health care professional before trying any form of alternative medicine.